12/24/13

Strip District-Pittsburgh

Pamela's Diner

Today has been the first time I have been in my beautiful city of Pittsburgh since Fall break.
That is about 3 months people. Not really OK in my book. 

I got off for Thanksgiving break last Wednesday and headed straight to the Boy's house in Ohio for some much needed family bonding. By family bonding, I mean meeting approximately 15 different family members and spending more time with his family. I would be lying if I said it was not a little bit overwhelming. Yet, it was truly so great to spend more time with all of them.

However, being back in Pittsburgh means spending some much needed quality time with some long lost friends. I met up with one of my dearest friends from High school, Melanie, at Pamela's in Pittsburgh. Pamela's is a binge fest on the best crepe like Pancakes in Pittsburgh. Oh and lets not forget the bottomless coffee. 

My adventure then took me into wandering the streets of the Strip District, visiting familiar places as well as unfamiliar. The Strip District is a maze of eclectic shops, Pittsburgh food staples, street vendors, Steeler's fans and no parking. Plus during the holiday season there is this essence that is magical. 

Here in no particular order are 8 places in the Strip you need to visit.

1. Pamela's Diner 

Well duh.


I did not manage to make a stop today and boy do I regret it. Not only do they have the classic Caramel, Cheese and Kettle flavors, but PPC has changing flavors with every couple of weeks. Currently they have Candy Cane Corn, Buffalo n Ranch and Jalapeno Popper until the 26th. 



Strip District Street Art

Want an art gallery, store and classes in one? Well, the Society for Contemporary Craft is an incredible gallery right on Smallman Street that focuses on the art of mixed media and crafts. I love their use of beading in a lot of their art, as well as the innovation behind many of their exhibits. Plus I am actually addicted to looking up their different workshops.

Society for Contemporary Craft


You want a hipster coffee shop? Well here you have it. 

5. Kaya

A blend of Caribbean and Pacific food. I absolutely adore this restaurant and the vibe it has. I recommend making a reservation and getting the Black Bean and Pineapple Quesadilla.


Pittsburgh has a great deal of Italian roots, including Mancini's. They have the best bread in Pennsylvania without a doubt. Plus their Pepperoni Rolls and Pizza dough are to die for. Stop in to pick up a loaf of Italian bread and any other concoction you can find.


There is not much really to say. I am obsessed with handmande pottery. I could be in this store all day. 

Penn Avenue Pottery

Penn Avenue Pottery


























8.  Pennsylvania Macaroni Co.

The lines may be long (I am not exaggerating, they are enormous), but you will find the best cheese and pasta sauce.

Pennsylvania Macaroni Co.

























What are some hidden gems in your city? Where are your favorite places to go to be tourists in your own city?

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment