8/27/12

Stained Mason Jars

I had some mason jars I washed and saved for a while after finishing up some canned goods and really wanted to try this craft (see the original tutorial at u-createcrafts). I love the clean, polished look, how you still see the beauty of the jar and especially how easy the recreation seemed!

The other day I tried one pin I found where you put paint on the inside of a mason jar, but I am not really happy with how it turned out. I used a dark forest green which looks nice, but as far as usefulness, I am tentative to put anything in the jar in order to not wreck the paint.

Anywho, onto the stained jar tutorial/review!


What you need: 
  • Mason Jars (or any jar will do - as you see I used both a mason jar and a regular canning jar)
  • Mod Podge
  • Food Coloring
  • Paper plates
  • Wax Paper



Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and get 2 cookie sheets ready by placing a sheet of wax paper over. Mix 2 Tablespoons of water and 4 Tablespoons of Mod Podge and your desired amount of food coloring to a paper plate and mix well. 

Tips:
  •  It will be watery, so do not be worried about that
  • You may get a few clumps here or there of Mod Podge that has already dried and cannot be mixed in - just make sure you scoop it out or be careful when pouring the mixture into your jar so that you do not get any clumps in
  • B careful with the amount of food coloring you add. Less is more.



Next pour the mixture into your jars, coat evenly with a thin layer and pour remaining mixture back out.   Then place your jars upside down on one of the cookie sheets and place in the oven for 3 minutes.

After 3 minutes take the jars out and wipe the rims well with a paper towel (tip - get one slightly damp and the other dry to make your life a little easier). Then place jars right side up on the unused cookie sheet for 30-40 minutes. 

Tips:

  • My reasoning behind having two cookie sheets is I found that a lot of the excess mixture made the wax paper pretty messy the fist time you take the jars out of the oven, so in order to prevent any of the mixture getting on the outside of your glass it is just best to have a clean cookie sheet ready to go.


Boom! After 30-40 minutes passes, you can take your jars out and be like "Man. I am so crafty".


Mine turned out a little streaky because I think I had my mixture on a little too thick, but otherwise I love them! I actually think the streaks add a bit of character to the jars. I am definitely going to tie some cute ribbon or rope around the middle or the small jar to spice it up even more.

Overall it was a great and definitely easy tutorial that took me less than an hour to do. Plus there was not much trial and error involved which was also a plus.

What are your favorite mason jar crafts? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment